Saturday 1 August 2020

2020 Summer in Yokohama: Saphir Odoriko

EMU JR East E261 series, "Saphir Odoriko" arrives at Yokohama station

The governor of Tokyo announced that Tokyoites should refrain from any nonessential and non-urgent outings during the 4-day weekend in July because of new coronavirus infection risks. I reluctantly agreed to that. Instead, I'm going to show you the photos taken before the 4-day weekend.

Last month, I visited Yokohama City in Kanagawa Prefecture to meet with my old friend. On my way back home, I came across JR East's new limited express train, Saphir Odoriko, at Yokohama station. As I introduced before, Saphir Odoriko, the EMU E261 series, was launched in March 2020 to replace an old limited express train, Super-view Odoriko, the EMU 251 series. 

What are the differences between Saphir Odoriko and Super-view Odoriko? In short, the older Super-view Odoriko emphasizes the view from the train; meanwhile, the newer Saphir Odoriko train emphasizes the interior comfort and luxury. For instance, sloping tiers of seats are equipped in the front of Super-view Odoriko train to provide passengers with a gorgeous front view. All cars of Super-view Odoriko train were high-deckers, and had large side windows. On the other hand, Saphir Odoriko train has a luxurious Premium Green Car (first-class car) and a dining car.

I like enjoying views from Super-view Odoriko train and also relaxing in a gorgeous cabin of Saphir Odoriko train. The scenic view might be more important if I travel alone; meanwhile, a gorgeous cabin will be valuable if I travel with my family or friends. I'm in a dilemma.

EMU JR East E261 series, "Saphir Odoriko" stands at Yokohama station