Wednesday 10 August 2022

Preserved Electric Car in Keikyu Museum

Electric car DeHa236 of the DeHa230 series is exhibited in Keikyu Museum

It's mid-summer in Tokyo. The maximum daytime temperature is often over 35 degrees Celsius. I would like to evacuate from the urban "heat island", but not so easy, as I have a lot of things to do in Tokyo. What else can I do? One of the solutions is visiting railway museums in the metropolitan area making use of small pockets of time, as they're indoor and fully air-conditioned. I recently visited one such spot... Keikyu Museum operated by Keikyu Electric Railway.

The most precious exhibit was an old electric car, DeHa236 of the DeHa230 series. It was built by Kawasaki Sharyo Company in 1929. It's a 16-meter long electric car with four 93.3 kW DC motors. The electric control system was rheostatic, and the nose-suspension drive system was used. After operating for 49 years, it was retired from the track in 1978.

I had just noticed out of curiosity that the position of the pantograph on the roof was off to the center compared to recent trains, so, I asked a museum staff member to show me the roof of DeHa236. She then kindly showed me one upstairs. It was the main lobby of the Keikyu Electric Railway's main office. Thanks to the staff member, I could observe the roof of DeHa236, and found that there was nothing on the roof except the pantograph! There weren't ventilators on the roof. That's why the pantograph wasn't needed to put to the front edge of the roof. The answer was simple.

The roof of DeHa236 is very simple