Friday 4 November 2022

Kamakura in Autumn: Retro Train and Twilight View

EMU Enoden 10 series (left) is operated with the 2000 series (right).

It's the middle of autumn and a good season for a stroll in the metropolitan area. I visited Kamakura City in Kanagawa Prefecture with my family at the weekend. I was going to make do with non-trainspotting strolling, but...

Let me quickly review Kamakura City to start. It's located about 50 kilometers southwest of Tokyo, and a historic city where the Shogunate government was located from 1185 to 1333. There're many old shrines and temples in the city, but Kamakura has another face. It's also famous as a marine resort facing the Pacific Ocean.

To get around the city, Enoshima Electric Railway (Enoden), is convenient. It looks like a tramway based on the Act on Rail Tracks (Tramways Act). In fact, Enoden is a railway based on the Railway Business Act. When we're walking along the track, a retro train, named EMU 10 series, passed by us. The 10 series was launched in 1997 in commemoration of the Enoden's 95th anniversary. It's a 25.4-meter-long articulated two-car train with retro bodies. Only one set is operated on the line. As soon as its decorated bodies caught my eyes, I instinctively aimed my camera lens at the train. All right! I got a nice photo. That's why I can't stop trainspotting.

After the sunset, we went down to the beach, and enjoyed the twilight view of the Pacific Ocean. Autumn is the best season for strolling including trainspotting, as the air is crisp and clear. I had a great weekend again.

Twilight view of the Pacific Ocean near Enoden Enoshima station

Official information about the EMU Enoden 10 series (in Japanese):
Official website, Enoshima Electric Railway: