Thursday 14 May 2015

Indonesian Railway Update: The Nambo Line

EMU KRL Jabodetabek (ex-JR East) 205 series travels on the Nambo Line near Cibinong Station
Photo: Faris Fadhli (April, 2015)
 
I am going to show you news from Indonesia today. The Nambo Line was electrified and resumed operation last month. My thanks go to Mr. Faris Fadhli, who kindly sent me the latest photo.

The Nambo Line was opened in 2000 as a coal transportation route to a cement factory in the Jakarta metropolitan area. Connecting Citayam on the Bogor Line and Nambo Station, the line length was 13km. It was an un-electrified 1,067 mm-gauge single track. A 2-car diesel rail car was operated for commuter transportation. This train was directly operated onto the Bogor Line to Tanah Abang Terminal located in downtown Jakarta.

When I was stationed in Indonesia from 2007 to 2011, this route was suspended due to a lack of rolling stock, so I often enjoyed walking on the track to see the beautiful suburban scenery. Specifically, the green rice paddies and palm trees were my favorite. The communication with local people was also my little pleasure at that time.

On April 1st, a local train operator, KRL Jabodetabek completed the electrification with 1,500 V DC system and resumed operation on the Nambo Line. The 8-car train, EMU ex-JR East 205 series is one of the main fleets on the line. I wish Jakarta further success in the modernization of its railways.

In the meantime, the photo locality of my previous post (January 31st, 2015) is clear now. It was shot near Parung Panjang Station on the Serpong Line. Faris-san, thank you for the additional information.

 
Same locality as the above photo (December, 2009)