Thursday 7 May 2020

Memories of Bath Spa in 2011

DMU Great Western Railway Class 158 (Unit 158951 and others) stands at Bath Spa station

The governor of Tokyo announced that we should refrain from any nonessential and non-urgent outings because of new coronavirus infection risks. Changing the mood, I'm going to show you some old photographs, which I recently rediscovered on my hard disk.

As I posted before, I was stationed in Jakarta from 2006 to 2011. In June 2011, I took leave to prepare for my new position in Tokyo. I thought that a vacation would refresh my mind. My destination was the UK. On the third day of my vacation, I visited Bath in the southwest of England. Bath City is famous for its spa in the Roman era. It's twinned with Beppu City, which is also well known for its hot springs in Japan.

When I got off at Bath Spa station, I found a beautiful 3-car train standing at an opposite side of the track. What was that? It was a DMU Class 158 (Unit 158951 and others) of Great Western Railway. According to some local websites, Class 158 was built from 1989 to 1992 to replace old locomotive-hauled passenger trains. A total of 182 sets were built by British Rail Engineering Ltd. Derby Litchurch Lane Works. Different from standard DMUs in Japan, the bodies of Class 158 were bigger (23.21 meters long). The engine output was also larger (260 to 300 kW). The top speed was faster (145 kilometers per hour).

A beautiful big train and the Roman bath... I had a great day that day.

Platform of Bath Spa station