Saturday 22 August 2020

Shonan-daira: Scenic Place on the Tokaido Main Line

EMU E233-3000 series travels on the Tokaido main line

Shonan-daira is a scenic place in Hiratsuka City, about 60 kilometers southwest of Tokyo. It's just a low hill at an elevation of 181 meters above sea level, but visitors can enjoy gorgeous views of the vast Kanto Plain and Sagami Bay from the summit. It's popular among young couples to enjoy the night view, while older people admire the cherry blossoms in spring.

I visited Shonan-daira in April, but my purpose of visit was neither the night view nor the cherry blossoms. I wanted to take photos of JR Central's Tokaido Shinkansen trains. The straight line track of the Tokaido Shinkansen is located about 1.5 kilometers north of Shonan-daira, so I expected to shoot the side view of a long Shinkansen train traveling at its top speed. I climbed up the hill on foot being soaked in sweat. Just after arriving at the summit, the Shinkansen train appeared. I could realize the 400-meters long train traveling at 285 kilometers per hour.

On the way back home, I also enjoyed taking photos of the Tokaido main line trains. The main fleet on the route is the EMU E233-3000 series launched in 2008. Currently, the E233-3000 series is widely operated in the Tokyo metropolitan area. My favorite is double-decker Green Cars (the first class cars) in the central part of the train. Once you pay an extra fee, a comfortable reclining seat is provided for you. I recommend it for long distance journeys over 100 kilometers. It costs 800 yen on holidays.

View from Shonan-daira: JR Central N700A series travels on the Tokaido Shinkansen