Monday 12 July 2021

Early Summer Trip to Hokkaido Island

Interior of GranClass car, EMU JR East E5 series

I recently retired from day-to-day management of my company. My busy and stressful days were finally over. I'm going to continue to work for the time being, but I will have more free time in the future, so, I will be able to answer your questions about Japanese railways. Thank you for your continued support to my blog.

Although it was the COVID-19 calamity, I made a short trip to Hokkaido Island to spoil myself. On the first day, I took the Tohoku-Hokkaido Shinkansen (a high speed new trunk line) from Tokyo terminal. My vehicle was the EMU JR East E5 series. That was my first time to use GranClass (the first class) car on the Shinkansen. It's in Car 10 toward Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto station. GranClass is a bit expensive, but OK. That was my special retirement trip. I was able to relax during travelling from Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto station. Because of the COVID-19 calamity, passengers were only me and my family in the GlanClass car, while the train passed through the long Seikan Undersea Tunnel.

What's the Seikan Undersea Tunnel? It lies between Honshu and Hokkaido islands with Its total length of 53.85 kilometers. It was completed in 1988, and had been the world's longest tunnel until 2010, when the Gotthard-Basis Tunnel penetrated through the Alps in Switzerland. Thanks to the subsea tunnel, it took only four hours from Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate Hokuto station by Super-express Hayabusa (Falcon) at a maximum speed of 320 kilometers per hour.

To be continued...

Entrance of GranClass car, EMU JR East E5 series

Official information about GranClass: https://www.jreast.co.jp/granclass/en/