Saturday 8 October 2022

City View of Sendai

EMU JR East E721-1000 series stands at Sendai station

I would like to describe the memory of my travel to Sendai City a little bit more.

After enjoying taking subway pictures, I returned to the city center and visited an observation deck in front of Sendai station. What jumped into my eyes was a white-colored structure like a petroleum pipeline. It was a long-arcaded shopping street named Chuo-dori (Central Street). I could also see green hills of Aobayama and Yagiyama at the end of the "pipeline". Subway trains on the Tozai line climb up these steep green hills through deep tunnels. That's really surprising. I fully enjoyed the city view of Sendai.

I can't be written off here as this is a railway blog. Taking this opportunity, I'm going to show you JR East's new train, which I came across at Sendai station. The EMU 721-1000 series is an alternate current train in the Sendai area. It was launched in 2016 as a younger brother (or sister) of the 721-0 series. What are the major differences between the older E721-0 and the younger E721-1000 series? First, one set of the E721-0 is composed of 2 cars; while, the E721-1000 consists of 4 cars. Second, driver-only operation is possible using the E721-0; while, the E721-1000 has to carry a conductor. Third, the E721-0 has green and red-colored body stripes; while, the E721-1000 has green and pink-colored stripes. Finding such subtle differences between trains is the greatest pleasure for trainspotters like me. Everyone says trainspotters are such oddballs. I think so too.

City view of Sendai