Thursday 5 August 2021

Blue and Red Colors in Kodaira City

Set 9103 of the EMU Seibu 9000 series travels on the Tamako line in Kodaira City

The Japan Meteorological Agency made an announcement that this year's rainy season ended on July 16th in Tokyo. The mid-summer has begun. Under the strong sunlight, I visited a local farm in Kodaira City of Tokyo Metropolis with my family. My purpose of the visit was for blueberry picking. My eyes have lately been very tired. I heard that blueberries are good for the eyes, so, blueberry picking would improve my health. We could pick many blueberries there.

On my way back home, we took the Seibu-Tamako line. I came across a rare train, set 9103 of the EMU 9000 series at Omekaido station. The 9000 series was launched in 1993 reusing the old equipment of the retired 101 series. 80 cars in total were built by the Seibu Tokorozawa Factory. Set 9103 was once known as the Lucky Red Train on the Seibu-Ikebukuro line. That was the exchange of color designs and a mark of friendship between Seibu Railway and Keikyu Electric Railway. The Lucky Red Train was then cut short from a 10-car to a 4-car train this year, and moved to the Tamako line. The body color was slightly changed from red to dark red, like a tomato. The new red color is my favorite and I'm fond of this tomato-colored train.

Finally, I found another red-colored monument in Kodaira City. It was Japan's tallest barrel-type mailbox constructed by Japan Post Company to promote postal services. This mailbox is actually used by people. Kodaira is the blue and red-colored city, isn't it?

Japan's largest mailbox in Kodaira City