Tuesday 14 March 2023

Advent of Spring on the Odakyu-Tama Line

EMU Odakyu 4000 series arrives at Kurihira station on the Tama line

Finally, winter has gone and spring is here in Tokyo. The sun is getting stronger, and the temperature has risen. The maximum daytime temperature is nearly 20 degrees Celsius. I visited the Odakyu-Tama line to find the advent of spring.

Let me quickly review the Odakyu-Tama line to start. The Tama line connects Shin-Yurigaoka, a transfer station from the Odakyu-Odawara line, and Karakida, a terminal station in the western part of Tama New Town. As I posted before, Tama New Town was developed in the Tama Hills area by the central and the metropolitan governments in the 1960s. The current population is nearly 200,000.

During my short trip, I stopped by Kurihira station, and enjoyed shooting trains. A 10-car train, EMU 4000 series, soon approached me drawing a gentle curve on the track. The 4000 series was commissioned in 2007 to consider about the future direct operation onto the JR East Joban line. For that purpose, the technical specification of the 4000 series is in line with the JR East E233 series. It was just a familiar train to me, but very beautiful on that particular day under the basking gentle spring sunlight.

After arriving at Karakida terminal, I started walking along the hill ridge. It was nice and warm. I found the blooming of a red plum tree on the footpath to a golf course. It indicated the advent of spring. I saw golfers enjoying themselves playing golf. I haven't played golf recently, so, it's nostalgic. Have a great time!

Red plum flowers are in full bloom on the Tama Hills near Karakida station