Friday 17 March 2023

Advent of Spring on the Odakyu-Tama Line: Part 2

Karakida Railyard on the Odakyu-Tama line

Continuing with what I covered last time, I'm going to show you an advent of spring on the Odakyu-Tama line today.

After enjoying walking on the hill ridge footpath, I reached a viewing spot named Miharashi-hiroba (viewing plaza). I could see a suburban residential area against the 1,000 to 1,600-meter-class Tanzawa mountains from there. The shape of the ridge line was almost the same as the view from my home, but it was clearer, since it's closer to the mountains. It was not as superb as the view spots in the national nature parks, but good enough as a place close to the city center of Tokyo. I was so glad that I had come.

Well, I can't be written off here as this is a railway blog. On the way back to Karakida station, I stopped by the other observatory. It was just a nameless spot among non-rail-fans, but a sacred site for rail-fans like me. I could overlook Karakida Railyard of Odakyu Electric Railway from there. Karakida Railyard was established in 1990, when the Tama line was inaugurated. It's relatively small-scale, but one of four major railyards on the Odakyu lines. Fortunately, it was sunny, so, I could see the shining faces of Odakyu commuter trains under the spring sunlight. They were one set of the EMU 1000, and two sets each of the 4000 and 5000 series.

Odakyu trains, get a good rest! Starting in the evening, you'll be busy again for transporting commuters on the way home.

Miharashi-hiroba (viewing plaza) near Karakida station on the Odakyu-Tama line