Wednesday 8 March 2023

The 900 Series: Work Train on the Keio Line

From left to right, DeYa 901, KuYa 900 (DAX), SaYa 912 and DeYa 902

Following the "TOQi", I'm going to show you the other work train in Tokyo today.

The Keio 900 series is a train for internal non-revenue use by the railway operator. Only one set is operated on the Keio line. It consists of four cars, namely DeYa 901, KuYa 900, SaYa 912 and DeYa 902. All cars were built by Tokyu Sharyo. DeYa 901 and 902 of these four cars are traction vehicles. They're also operated as a snow-removing train, because they have snow plows. These two cars were built in 2015 to replace the old model, DeWa 600 series. On the other hand, KuYa 900 is an inspection car for track and catenary maintenance. It was built in 2007 as Keio's first authentic inspection vehicle. It's operated with the same speed as commercial trains, so, the nickname of KuYa 900 is DAX (Dynamic Analytical eXpress). DAX is pulled by DeYa 901 and 902, as it doesn't have motors. Finally, SaYa 912 is an open freight car. It was built in 2015 to replace the old model, ChiKi 290. Its main mission is to transport rails.

Keio doesn't release timetables of the work train, so whether I can meet the 900 series or not depends on my luck. I recently came across it at Chitose-Karasuyama and Takahatafudo stations by chance. I took out my camera hastily, and shot it immediately before it passed in front of me. It was under backlight condition, but I could manage to get the picture. Thank goodness!

From left to right, the Keio 900 series, 5000 series and 9000 series