Sunday 17 September 2023

Early Summer Trip to Sendai City: Part 3

EMU JR East E721-0 (left) and E721-1000 series (right) stand at Sakunami station

Do you remember that I made a short trip to Sendai City in June of this year? Three months have already passed, but I would like to show you some more memories of my trip today.

When I walked around the whisky distillery near Sakunami station, I found that many plants in the site looked blackened. Please look at the photo below. Was it my optical illusion? After joining a guided distillery tour, I confirmed that it wasn't my optical illusion. According to the guide, those blackened plants were adhered by whiskey yeast. The yeast was leaked from the distillery building. I was surprised that whiskey distillery is blended with nature around there.

Well, I can't be written off here as this is a railway blog. Taking this opportunity, I'm going to show you two kinds of alternate current trains, namely the EMU E721-0 and the E721-1000 series, standing at Sakunami station on the JR East Senzan line. Please look at the top photo. Can you spot the difference between these two trains?

The answer is as follows. The E721-0 series (left) has green and red-colored body stripes; while, the E721-1000 series (right) has green and pink-colored stripes. Was it a piece of cake? Apart from that, one set of the E721-0 series is composed of 2 cars; while, the E721-1000 series consists of 4 cars. Driver-only operation is possible using the E721-0 series; while, the E721-1000 series has to carry a conductor. Finding such subtle differences between trains is the greatest pleasure for trainspotters like me.

Plants in the whiskey distillery site look blackened