Saturday, 29 August 2026

My Memorable Trains: JR Central’s Series 211 EMUs

JR Central’s Series 211, Set SS5, at Mishima Station (January 2023)

As I mentioned before, I’ve started sorting through my train photos. But that’s easier said than done. As soon as I started looking through my old photo albums, I got completely absorbed in them and forgot all about my original purpose. One of the trains that recently caught my attention was JR Central’s Series 211 electric multiple unit (EMU). So today, I’d like to share this train with you.

What’s Series 211?

The Series 211 is a standard direct current (1,500 V) EMU. It was developed by the former Japanese National Railways (JNR) in 1985, just before its breakup. A total of 827 cars entered service with JNR and its successors—JR East, JR West, and JR Central.

Technically, it features a 20-meter-long stainless-steel body equipped with bolsterless bogies, a field-excitation control system, regenerative braking, and so on.

What’s new with the Series 211?

JR East’s Series 211 EMUs are still in operation in some areas, such as the “Yagasuri Train,” but they have already disappeared from the JR West and JR Central lines.

First, the top photo shows JR Central’s Series 211, Set SS5, standing at Mishima Station on the Tokaido Main Line. I took it in January 2023. Set SS5 consisted of three cars and was part of the 211-5000 series. It was a very cold day, and the COVID-19 pandemic was still ongoing. You can see that all the passengers were wearing masks.

At the time, it seemed that Set SS5 could continue running at a high level for years to come. But in fact, it was retired the following year, in 2024. What a shame.

Next, the bottom photo shows JR Central’s Series 211, Set GG4, standing at Atami Station on the Tokaido Main Line. I also took this photo in January 2023. Set GG4 consisted of two cars and was part of the 211-6000 series.

Unlike JR East’s Series 211, JR Central’s Series 211 was often coupled with other types of EMUs. You can see a Series 313 EMU behind Set GG4.

It, too, was retired the following year, in 2024. Almost three years have passed since then. Time really flies.

Sayonara (goodbye), and thank you, JR Central’s Series 211 EMUs! I will never forget you.

JR Central’s Series 211, Set GG4, at Atami Station (January 2023)