Wednesday 13 November 2013

The 40th Anniversary of 8039F Operation

EMU ex-Tokyu 8039F approaches Universitas Indonesia Station in Indonesia (May, 2008)
 
As I mentioned before, the EMU Tokyu 8000 series is something special for me. It is filled with memories.

The first memory is my school days. When I was a high school student, I took the Tokyu-Toyoko Line to go to school. It was only a 10-minute trip; but the 8000 series held good memories for me, as I used it every day. Unfortunately, all of the 8000 series trains have already retired from the Tokyu Line.

The second memory is my Jakarta days. I was stationed in Jakarta, Indonesia for 4 years from 2007 to 2011. When I was there, I often rode the trains. My favorite one was the EMU PT KAI (Indonesian National Railways) 8000 series, which was the ex-Tokyu 8000 series in Japan. Three sets were transferred to Indonesia in 2005 and 2007 to spend their second life after their retirement from Tokyu.


Among the three sets, number 39 (8039F) was special for me. 8039F debuted in 1973, when I was a high school student. It was just a train at that time; but its coloring design became more beautiful after it moved to Indonesia. Look at the photos. 8039F has thick dark blue colored stripes on the body. A second look confirms that thin light blue colored stripes are embedded in the thick stripes. These well designed stripes fit the shining stainless body and the tropical scenery in Indonesia.

8039F is pushing 40 this year.

 
EMU ex-Tokyu 8039F stands at Kramat Station in Indonesia (January, 2010)