Thursday 14 November 2013

Autumn Color on the Inokashira Line

1714F of the EMU Keio 1000 series arrives at Inokashira-koen Station on the Inokashira Line
 
An "autumn leaves front" is going southward in the Tokyo metropolitan area. It is also making a plunge from the high mountains to the plain. The leaves on the urban trees have just started turning red, yellow and brown. I visited Inokashira Park near Inokashira-koen Station on the Keio-Inokashira Line last weekend, and enjoyed a stroll.

Inokashira Park is located in the western suburb of Tokyo. It is close to my parent's place. When I was a child, I often went boating and visited a zoo in the park with my parent and/or grandparent. I also visited there to make a sketch with a teacher and classmates of the primary school. They were fun in their own ways; but, to tell the truth, riding the trains on the Inokashira Line to and from the park was my greatest attraction.

When I was a toddler, all trains were steel and green colored. Then, the EMU 3000 series, a stainless car was introduced. It shone brilliantly in my eyes. Rainbow colored front masks of the trains were very fresh for me. It was my top favorite train.

Currently, the EMU 1000 series replaced the EMU 3000 series, and has become the main fleet on the Inokashira Line trains. The commercial operation of this EMU started in 1996, as the first long (20m) body train. It is composed of 5 cars with a VVVF (variable frequency drive) control system.

The Inokashira Line trains fit autumn leaves in the suburban area.

 
Inokashira Park near Inokashira-koen Station on the Keio-Inokashira Line