Sunday 19 January 2014

Winter Sunset on the Inokashira Line

1701F of the EMU Keio 1000 series stands at Eifuku-cho Station on the Inokashira Line
 
Here we are in the middle of winter in Tokyo. It is clear every day in the regions here on the Pacific Ocean. In contrast, it always snows in the areas on the Japan Sea, because 2000-3000m high mountain ranges give the Pacific Ocean and the Japan Sea sides vastly different climatic patterns.

Winter is one of the best seasons to take scenic pictures in the Tokyo metropolitan area. The crystal blue sky gives photographers many beautiful subjects, such as snow-capped summits. The sunset is also photogenic, because the clear sky enhances the orange colored sunlight.

One day, I headed to my birthplace, which was on the Keio-Inokashira Line. The purpose of my visit was to take pictures of Mt. Fuji backed by the winter sunset. When I was a child, I could view Mt. Fuji easily from my parent's house. But today, it is not so easy, since built-up houses interrupt the scenery of Mt. Fuji from a distance.

How can I view Mt. Fuji in this area? The solution was to climb up on the roof top garden of Eifuku-cho Station Building on the Keio-Inokashira Line. I could enjoy a fantastic view of Mt. Fuji backed by an orange colored sunset there. It was the same as what I saw in my childhood.

After taking photographs, I started for home by getting on a train on the Inokashira Line. The stainless-steel 1000 series was blazing under the station lights. It was also very beautiful to feel myself compelled to use the shutter button again.

 
Sunset view from Eifuku-cho Station Building on the Keio-Inokashira Line