Thursday 13 November 2014

Old Regulating Gate on the Tokaido Line

EMU JR East E217 series (Shonan color) runs under pedestrian bridge spanning the Tokaido Line 
 
We, urban dwellers, sometimes find a heritage from an unexpected place. Rokugo Suimon is a typical example.

Last month, I joined a walking event held by JR East with my family. The departure place was Kamata Station on the Keihin-Tohoku Line. We passed through a traditional retail mall and a non-descript residential area. It was no longer new. I thought I had seen it all before, but I found something new when we reached the bank of Tama River.

It was an old regulating gate named Rokugo Suimon on the border between the main river and a side stream. It was the place where I often pedal through by bicycle. I wonder why I hadn't noticed it before. Rokugo Suimon was constructed in 1931 by the ex-Home Ministry. The purpose of the construction was to prevent regurgitation of water from the main river to the side stream. The brick-cladded quoin posts were very nostalgic and beautiful. It was shining in the gentle autumn sunlight.

After enjoying the classic regulating gate, we crossed over a pedestrian bridge spanning the JR East Tokaido Main Line. I could see that the Shonan-colored (orange and green-colored) EMU, E217 series, was just running under the bridge. As I have introduced before, the Shonan-colored E217 series is a rare train. Only 2 sets, 30 units, are operated on the Tokaido Main Line. Such a rarity fascinates rail-fans and draws them to the track.

Enjoying the old regulating gate and the rare train... it was a good hair day.

 
Rokugo Suimon (regulating gate) is located near Kamata Station