Sunday 13 December 2015

Night Heron on the Keikyu Line

EMU Keikyu 1000 series (stainless-steel made) stands at Shinmachi Rail Yard

Yokohama is the second largest city in Japan. This megacity is located about 20 km southwest of Tokyo, and has been developed as Tokyo's outport since the 19th century. Currently, it has an estimated population of 3.7 million. The downtown area is a concrete jungle. You can see skyscrapers such as the MM21 area, but you can still find nature even in the densely populated suburban areas.

I visited Yokohama last month, as something came up. After finishing my meeting, I stopped at a railway crossing nearby Shinmachi Rail Yard on the Keikyu Line to take train pictures. On the way back to Yokohama Station, I enjoyed walking along a small river. It was a typical densely built-up residential area. When I passed through a gentle curve of the stream, I found a big bird on a persimmon tree. It was not a crow. What was it?

It was a 50 cm-long night heron perching on a branch. The white spots on the wings showed that he (or she) was still young. I was surprised that such a big bird lives in the urban residential area. Neecless to say, I was absorbed in clicking my camera shutters to shoot this rare big bird. I hope that the environment for night herons is protected in the future.

In the meantime, I could shoot the stainless-steel made EMU, the 1000 series, stored in the Shinmachi Rail Yard. My favorite rare train was not there, but I found a rare bird on that day.

 
A night heron perches on a persimmon tree near Kanagawa Station on the Keikyu Line