Friday 6 September 2019

Bungee Jumping Valley on the Gakunan Line

Electric car MoHa 7003 of the Gakunan 7000 series leaves Gakunan-Enoo station

I recently visited Gakunan Railway for the first time in four years. Gakunan is a small local private company in Shizuoka Prefecture about 110 kilometers west of Tokyo. What was new with this railway? In November, 2018, a new train was launched on the line. It was the EMU 9000 series (MoHa 9001 and 9101) transferred from Fujikyu Railway. Unfortunately, I couldn't have a chance to ride on the new train, so that I am going to introduce again the old EMU 7000 series to you.

The 7000 series is the ex-Keio 3000 series train. It was transferred to Gakunan in 1996. A total of three units (MoHa 7001, 7002 and 7003) were transferred, but one unit (MoHa 7002) has already been retired from the track. The 7000 series train has vermilion colored faces and stripes. This color is called "international orange" by the company. I don't know why "international", but probably because the company expects a further increase of foreign passengers who visit the southern foot of Mt. Fuji.

After taking the photos of the Gakunan train at Gakunan-Enoo station, I visited Sudogawa Valley with my family. This deep and steep valley is famous as a bungee jumping site. Visitors can safely enjoy jumping from the highest point of a bridge under the guidance of experts. When we visited the site, the echoes of jumpers' shouts rang throughout the valley.

Did I try bungee jumping? Oh, no! I am chicken. My family members only became birds.

Bungee jumping site in Sudogawa Valley

Official route map of Gakunan Railway: