Monday 6 July 2020

Late Rose Blooming Season on the Keio Line

8710F of the Keio 8000 series travels on the Keio line    

One month has passed since the state of emergency declaration caused by the new coronavirus was lifted nationwide by the Japanese government. Public facilities such as museums and theaters were reopened one after another. I recently visited Jindai Botanical Garden operated by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government for the first time in a while.

Jindai Botanical Garden has a long history. It was a nursery garden for boulevard trees before WWII. The garden was then changed to the botanical garden, and opened to the public in 1960. I still remember that I made an excursion to this garden with my friends and teachers when I was a kindergartner. My favorite spot is a rose garden. It was a late blooming season. I could enjoy the colorful blossoms and the sweet fragrances of 400 kinds of roses.

To visit this historical garden, the nearest station is Tsutsujigaoka on the Keio line. On the way back home, I enjoyed taking photographs of the Keio trains for a while. I shot an EMU 8000 series train. The 8000 series was launched in 1992 as the first EMU to adopt the VVVF (variable frequency drive) control system on the Keio line. 245 units were built by Nippon Sharyo and Tokyu Sharyo. I found that the front lights of the 8000 series were changed from sealed beam lamps to LEDs. It's fun for me to find such minor change on the trains as a train spotter.

I enjoyed both beautiful roses and Keio's stylish trains.

The rose garden of Jindai Botanical Garden near Tsutsujigaoka station on the Keio line