Wednesday 14 June 2023

Early Summer Trip to Sendai City

EMU JR East E721-1000 series leaves Sakunami station on the Senzan line

On June 8th, the Japan Meteorological Agency announced that this year's rainy season had begun in Tokyo. Until mid-July, the metropolitan area will have a hot and humid rainy season called Tsuyu. It's a gloomy period for Tokyoites before midsummer, so, I made a short trip to the north, where the rainy season has not started yet. My destination was a whisky distillery in Sendai City, about 380 kilometers from Tokyo. That's a quiet place surrounded by a deep green forest. I joined a guided distillery tour and a cocktail seminar. The beautiful nature also made me feel relaxed.

Since I drink alcohol, I can't drive. The access to the distillery should be by public transport, namely a train. The nearest railway station is Sakunami on the JR East Senzan line. This route was opened in 1937 penetrating steep Ou Mountains. Connecting Sendai and Yamagata cities, the line length is 58 kilometers. The track is single and electrified. The electric system is 20,000 V and 50 Hz alternative current (AC) with overhead wires. The Senzan line is well-known among rail-fans as the first AC electrified line in Japan. My vehicle was the EMU E721-1000 series. One train set is composed of 2 motorcars and two trailers (2M2T). I was very happy that cozy cross seats were equipped in the interior of the train. Drink holders beside the windows were also convenient. I fully enjoyed the excellent cafe time while watching mountain scenery on the line. I had a great early summer.

Nikka Whisky Miyagikyo Distiller near Sakunami station

Official information about the EMU JR East E721 series (in Japanese):