Saturday 24 February 2024

East i-D: Extra Rare Inspection DMU

JR East's inspection DMU, "East i-D", travels on the Musashino line

You may remember that I posted JR East's inspection train for narrow gauge electrified tracks, namely East i-E (EMU E491 series), in 2015. At that time, I promised...

"JR East has an inspection train, called East i-D, for unelectrified tracks as well. It's also a very rare train. I'm going to upload the photograph, if I luckily find it."

Nine years has passed since then. Time really flies. I finally came across East i-D the other day. Please look at the photos. That's East i-D. Its formal name is the DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) KiYa E193 series. East i-D was commissioned in 2002 to replace the old inspection train, DMU KiYa 191 series. Only one set was built by Niigata-tekko. The mission of East i-D is to inspect signals and tracks mainly for unelectrified tracks, but it can inspect the electrified tracks as well, because it has pantographs. The top car, KiKuYa E193-1, has a track inspection system. This car doesn't have a driving engine. The middle car, KiYa E192-1, has pantographs to inspect overhead wires on electrified tracks. The tail car, KiYa E193-1, has a signal inspection system.

JR East does not release the timetable of East i-D, so, it's difficult to take pictures of this extra rare train. Fortunately, I could come across it at Minami-Nagareyama station on the Musashino line. Needless to say, as soon as East i-D came into sight, I took out my camera, and clicked the shutter intently. I barely made it!

From left to right, KiKuYa E193-1, KiYa E192-1 and KiYa E193-1