Wednesday, 5 August 2026

The Class EF65: Where Are They Now?

JRF’s Class EF65 No. 2096 passing through JR East’s Haijima Station in Tokyo

Don’t you sometimes find yourself wondering, “Where are they now?” For example, you might be relaxing at home, looking through an old photo album, when that question suddenly comes to mind. That’s exactly what today’s post is about.

I’ve recently started sorting through my train photos. Over the years, I’ve accumulated both digital files and printed photos, and as you can imagine, the collection has grown enormous.

I’ve got to do something about it!

But that’s easier said than done. As soon as I started looking through my old photo albums, I got completely absorbed in them and forgot all about my original purpose. One of the trains that caught my attention was the Class EF65 electric locomotive.

Where are they now?

Before answering that question, let me briefly introduce the Class EF65. It is one of Japan’s most representative electric locomotives. Developed by the former Japanese National Railways (JNR) in 1965 as a new standard locomotive, a total of 308 units were built. After the breakup and privatization of JNR, they were transferred to JR Freight (JRF) and the other JR Group companies. Technically speaking, the EF65 is a 1,500-volt DC electric locomotive powered by six 425-kW DC traction motors. Its wheel arrangement is Bo-Bo-Bo in UIC notation.

To my surprise, I found that only about 30 Class EF65 locomotives remain in service today. I hadn’t realized their numbers had fallen so dramatically.

Take the photo above, for example. It shows JR Freight’s EF65 No. 2096, which was retired earlier this year. I still remember coming across it at Haijima Station in Tokyo in 2024 while it was hauling a train of oil tank cars. I was especially fascinated because it still wore the classic JNR livery. Locomotives in these colors remain very popular among Japanese rail fans, as they bring back memories of the famous overnight sleeper trains once hauled by EF65s in the same livery.

Now take a look at the photo below. It shows JR Freight’s EF65 No. 2127, which was retired in 2023. I photographed it near Shimizu Station in Shizuoka Prefecture in 2015 while it was hauling a container freight train. What impressed me most was its distinctive paint scheme, especially the yellow gangway door. Japanese rail fans affectionately call this livery "Karashi" ("mustard"). This distinctive paint scheme originated at Hiroshima Depot, far from my home, making it an especially exciting locomotive to encounter.

I sincerely hope these veteran EF65 locomotives will continue running safely for as long as possible.

Hang in there, Class EF65!

JRF’s Class EF65 No. 2127 running near Shimizu Station in Shizuoka Prefecture