Friday, 14 August 2026

A Double-Purpose Trip on the “Tokyo Panorama Line”

Monchhichi Wrapped Train leaving Ōi-keibajō-mae Station

Today, I'd like to share something about the Tokyo Panorama Line with you.

Even if you are familiar with Japanese railways, you may be thinking, “Tokyo Panorama Line? I've never heard of such a line!” You are absolutely right. It is the brand-new nickname for the Tokyo Monorail's Haneda Airport Line. On November 1, 2025, the company adopted “Tokyo Panorama Line” as a nickname for the Haneda Airport Line to enhance the line's appeal.

As I mentioned before, we've recently seen several existing railway lines in Japan being given new nicknames. The Tobu Urban Park Line and the Tokyo Sakura Tram are typical examples, but something didn't feel right, to be honest. Compared with those, “the Tokyo Panorama Line” isn't so bad, since passengers can actually enjoy panoramic views of the Tokyo Bay area from the trains.

To promote the Tokyo Panorama Line, the company appointed Monchhichi as its Panorama Ambassador and introduced the Monchhichi Wrapped Train on February 20 this year. For your information, Monchhichi is a famous mascot character that was born in 1973. It is said to be a monkey-like fairy.

Now, please look at the photo above. That is the Monchhichi Wrapped Train, Set 10051 of the Series 10000 EMU. I was pleased to see Monchhichi featured prominently on the exterior—so cute!

Stick with me just a bit more.

After taking photos of the Monchhichi Wrapped Train, I got off at Ōi-keibajō-mae Station to take a stroll. My destination was the Keihin Canal, constructed on reclaimed land in Tokyo Bay. It was a hot and humid summer day, but the breeze blowing across the canal was very soothing.

When I glanced down at my feet, I spotted a rounded, pale-brown stone on the ground. As soon as I noticed it, I couldn't help mumbling, “That's a fossil!”

In fact, it was a six-million-year-old fossil of “Yoshihara-manju-uni” (Echinolampas yoshiwarai), a kind of sea urchin (6cm long). I think it was brought there as part of the fill material used for the reclamation project, probably from the Boso Peninsula in Chiba Prefecture. What a lucky day it was!

By happy coincidence, I was able to enjoy two of my hobbies during a single trip on the Tokyo Panorama Line.

A sea urchin fossil (Echinolampas yoshiwarai) found near Ōi-keibajō-mae Station