Tuesday 25 June 2024

Changing of the Seasons: Keio-Inokashira Line

Set 1780 of the EMU Keio 1000 series passes by a canola field

On June 21st, the Japan Meteorological Agency announced that this year's rainy season had begun in Tokyo. It was 14 days later than the average year. From June to mid-July, the Tokyo metropolitan area has a hot and humid rainy season called Tsuyu. It's a gloomy period before midsummer for Tokyoites, so, I'm refraining from trainspotting. Instead, I looked for my favorite photos saved in my hard disk.

Please look at the top photo. As I posted several times, I was born in a residential area on the Keio-Inokashira line, and have been witnessing the history of this commuter route. What I love most about the Inokashira line is its various seasonal flowers beside the track. In March, passengers can really start to feel the arrival of spring with canola flowers, which are brilliant near Shindaita station. Numerous yellow-colored canolas bloom beautifully in the sunshine on the embankments of the track. It also functions to prevent slope failure.

Next, please look at the photo below. In early April, most of the cherry (sakura) trees are fully blossomed along the track. I have introduced the cherry blossoms around Takaido station several times. This time, please enjoy old cherry trees in full bloom around Inokashirakoen station. The light-pink-colored cherry blossoms and the blue-colored train create a beautiful contrast backed by a quiet suburban residential area. I still remember that I visited there to make a sketch with my teacher and classmates of the primary school. Time really flies.

To be continued...

Set 1771 of the EMU Keio 1000 series passes by cherry trees in full bloom