Wednesday 9 October 2024

I Got Here a Little Too Early

EMU Sendai Subway 1000 series and the Funagata mountain range

Continuing with what I covered last time, I would like to introduce trains in Sendai City today.

First, let's take a quick look at Sendai City. Located about 350 kilometers north of Tokyo, Sendai is the political and economic center of the Tohoku Region. As of October 2024, it has a population of 1,096,168. Sendai is a densely populated city, but it is known nationwide as a modern city in harmony with nature. The city possesses beautiful scenery, such as the Hirose River that runs through central Sendai, and the lush zelkova trees that line its streets. Rairai-kyo Gorge, which I introduced in my last post, is also must-see spot in the city.

After visiting Rairai-kyo, I returned to the city center and visited the Sendai Subway Namboku line. My target was a new model named the EMU 3000 series. Sendai City Transportation Bureau recently introduced this model. How was the 3000 series? Oh, please refrain from asking this question. The 3000 series had not debuted yet. According to the Transportation Bureau, the 3000 series was still in Tomizawa Depo, and will debut on 24th of this month. I got here little too early.

Never mind. I got off at Yaotome station. That’s rail-fans’ spot, where we can shoot subway trains on the elevated track during the daytime. I enjoyed shooting of the existing 1000 series trains backed by the Funagata mountain range. I could shoot on the dark underground section at Kotodai-koen as well. That's quite alright too.

EMU 1000 series leaves Kotodai-koen station on the subway Namboku line

Official information about the new model, EMU 3000 series, by Sendai City Transportation Bureau (in Japanese):