Friday 15 March 2013

The Last Days of Ground-based Shibuya Station


No. 9001 (top number car) of the EMU 9000 series and rail fans at Shibuya Sta. on the Toyoko Line

Shibuya holds a lot of memories for me. When I was a high school student, I went to the school taking the Tokyu Toyoko Line via Shibuya Station. It was the 1970s. I could still see many old steel trains.

Shibuya was much quieter at that time compared to today. My favorite spots were music shops and large bookstores. I often bought long-playing records, piano scores and science fiction books there. I also learnt the names of constellations at the planetarium in Shibuya. But, recently, I have lost an opportunity to visit this area, since my office is located in another area of Tokyo.

Last week, I revisited Shibuya for the first time in a long time. It was because Tokyu Shibuya Station is going to be moved underground soon. I wanted to engrave the scenery of the ground-based station in my mind's eye.

When I arrived at the platform, there were many people taking pictures of the last days of the ground-based station. I also shot a picture of the train, the EMU 9000 series, backed by the old platform. The EMU 9000 series has been operated as a main fleet of the track for a long time; however, it is going to be retired from the Toyoko Line soon. It will coincide with the relocation of the station.

While walking on the concourse, I saw boys and girls who were wearing my school uniform. I was tugged by memories of my high school days. The time really flies.

Evening rush hour in the concourse of the ground-based Tokyu Shibuya Sta. on the Toyoko Line