Friday 23 March 2018

Visit to Fujimigaoka Railyard

Fujimigaoka Railyard near Fujimigaoka Station on the Keio Inokashira Line

Do you have good luck of the draw? No, I don't. I have normally no luck with lotteries at all, but I was recently a lucky person. I won the lottery to join the railyard tour on the Keio-Inokashira Line. I visited Fujimigaoka Railyard on March 17th, while grasping the winning notification of the lottery. It was a warm and clear day on the weekend so that I could fully enjoy this precious opportunity.

Fujimigaoka is the sole railyard on the Keio-Inokashira Line, which is located next to Fujimigaoka station. A total of 29 sets, 145 units of rolling stock are maintained there. They are all the EMU 1000 series, which was commissioned in 1996. One of the features of this stainless-steel body EMU is that each train set shows a different color on the front mask and side lines. Those are salmon-pink, white, ivory-white, lilac-colored and so on. The electric system is 1,500 V DC overhead. The gauge size is 1,067 mm, which is different from the Keio Line.

In the railyard, I saw many rail-fans, families and couples. Children were playing with the miniature Keio trains. On the other hand, rail-fans like me could see precious scenes such as the lifting up of a train body by a crane. I also experienced train washing by a washing machine boarding on a train.

For a memory of the visit, I purchased a new pen case, which is made of train sheet cloth, before leaving the railyard.

Lifting up of a train body by a crane

Official information about the trains on the Keio and Inokashira lines (in Japanese):