Wednesday 11 September 2024

Tama Riverside Walking: Part 11, Kawasaki

EMU Keikyu 600 series crosses Tama River

I’m going to show you the view of Tama River for the first time in a long time. I enjoyed strolling in the downstream last winter. My destination was Kawasaki City in Kanagawa Prefecture, about 20 kilometers away from the city center of Tokyo.

Let me review Kawasaki City. Kawasaki is the second most populated city in the prefecture. The current population is about 1.55 million. The city is full of variety. There are large-scaled downtown, industrial, residential and resort areas. Tama River river flows on the dividing line between Tokyo Metropolis and Kawasaki City.

After getting off the train at Keikyu-Kawasaki station, I passed through the downtown area, and headed to Tama River. As soon as I reached the embankment, a train passed the river, and approached me. That was the EMU 600 series, Keikyu’s commuter train commissioned in 1994. The 600 series partly has comfortable cross seats to provide passengers with good services. The red-colored 600 series made a beautiful contrast with the winter blue sky. After passing under the railway bridge of the Keikyu line, I walked upstream. Five minutes later, a long train passed through the other railway bridge. That was the EMU JR East E231 series. The E231 series is one of the major group trains on the JR East lines, and widely operated in the Tokyo metropolitan area. It was commissioned in 2000. It’s composed of 15 units of 20-meter-long cars. That is to say, 300-meter-long train was passing by me. It was breathtaking!

While observing trains, I enjoyed Tama riverside walking as usual.

EMU JR East E231 series crosses Tama River