Monday, 7 September 2026

The 30th Anniversary of the Rinkai Line

Series 71-000 Set Z11 with a “30th Anniversary of the Rinkai Line” headmark

On March 30 this year, Tokyo Waterfront Area Rapid Transit Company (TWR) celebrated the 30th anniversary of the Rinkai Line. Today, I’d like to share a few thoughts about this milestone. But before that…

That’s weird. I still remember that TWR celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Rinkai Line four years ago. So why is TWR celebrating its 30th anniversary this year?

You may be wondering the same thing as I was, so let me start with a brief overview of the Rinkai Line.

・What Is the Rinkai Line?

The Rinkai Line is a commuter railway serving the waterfront area of Tokyo. It is operated by TWR, a public-private joint venture. The entire line is double-tracked, and trains run on a 1,500 V DC system. Most of the line runs underground, but it is not classified as a subway line. Rinkai Line trains also run directly onto JR East lines.

・History of the Rinkai Line

The Rinkai Line initially opened between Shin-Kiba and Tokyo Teleport (4.9 km) in 1996. It was then fully opened between Ōsaki and Shin-Kiba (12.2 km) in 2002.

In short, TWR celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Rinkai Line’s full opening in 2022. On the other hand, it is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the line’s initial, partial opening this year. Does that clear things up for you?

・The 30th Anniversary Headmark

Let’s move on. One of the events marking the 30th anniversary is the application of a commemorative headmark to Set Z11 of the Series 71-000 EMU (see the photo above).

In the photo below, you can see a close-up of another headmark on the other cab front. The Series 70-000 and Series 71-000 EMUs are featured on the headmark. The design is modest, but charming in its own way.

・Final Thoughts

Finally, I tried to look back on the days of the Rinkai Line’s “20th anniversary” in 2022. I remembered that the anniversary train was the older Series 70-000. Four years later, the “30th anniversary” train is the latest Series 71-000 EMU.

As far as I know, a total of five sets of the Series 71-000 have already entered service. I could really feel how quickly this urban railway is changing.

Congratulations on the 30th anniversary of the Rinkai Line!

The commemorative headmark celebrating the 30th anniversary