Friday, 25 September 2026

A Hanging Strap with a Unique Design: Part 3

Rinkaru-themed hanging strap on a TWR train

As I mentioned in my previous posts, there are many hanging straps in commuter trains in Japan. That’s because trains in urban areas are often crowded. Hanging straps are essential for passenger safety in this country.

By the way, I imagine there are hanging straps with unique designs in your country, too. In Japan, there aren’t many, but I do come across them from time to time. As I mentioned in a previous post, the Sounyan-themed hanging strap on a Sotetsu train is a typical example. We shouldn’t forget the Mocoron-themed hanging strap on an Odakyu train, either. Today, I’d like to share one more unique hanging strap with you

Please take a look at the photo above. What’s that?

Here you can see Rinkaru! That’s a special hanging strap on a Rinkai Line train.

The Rinkai Line is a commuter railway serving the waterfront area of Tokyo. It is operated by Tokyo Waterfront Area Rapid Transit (TWR), a public-private joint venture. The line stretches 12.2 km and connects Shin-Kiba and Ōsaki. It has eight stations.

Rinkaru is the Rinkai Line’s mascot character. He is a dolphin boy who appeared in Tokyo Bay in 2007. He always wears a railway cap, which was given to him by the stationmaster of Tokyo Teleport Station. He is said to never grow old. Rinkaru’s hanging strap—it’s super cute, isn’t it?

Finally, I have to tell you about the train equipped with Rinkaru’s hanging strap. Please see the photo below. This is the train—Set Z3 of the TWR Series 70-000 EMU. I was pleased to see Rinkaru featured prominently on the exterior. The train is celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Rinkai Line.

I enjoyed both the unique hanging strap and the 30th-anniversary posters on the Rinkai Line train that day.

TWR Series 70-000 Set Z3 leaving Shinonome Station