I am fascinated by illuminated railway tunnels, and I enjoy “yamitetsu” there. I’m still at a beginner’s level when it comes to yamitetsu. But today, I’d like to share my recent experience in the Shin-Yokohama Tunnel with you.
・What’s Yamitetsu and Shin-Yokohama Tunnel?
As I mentioned before, “yamitetsu” is a Japanese slang term used by railfans for photographing trains and their related facilities in the dark, as well as for people who enjoy doing so.
The Shin-Yokohama Tunnel is a shield tunnel on the Tokyu Shin-Yokohama Line, which opened in 2023. This was my second visit there, two years after my first.
・A View of the Illuminated Tunnel
All right then—please take a look at the photo above. I stood at the edge of the Shin-Yokohama Station platform and looked into the tunnel of the Tokyu Shin-Yokohama Line. I could see the illuminated tunnel wall curving away into the distance.
There were many train approach warning lights to protect railway employees working on the tracks. The interior of the tunnel was very colorful. In fact, I saw several employees carrying out track maintenance work.
Thank you for your hard work. Have a good day!
・A Train Running in the Tunnel
Next, please take a look at the photo below. You can see a train running through the tunnel.
You may be thinking, “I’ve seen this scene in your previous post.”
But please take another look at the photo. The train is different from the one in my previous post. It’s a Saitama Railway 2000 series EMU. That’s the attention to detail you get from being a train enthusiast.
This train runs on four different railway lines and heads to Urawa-Misono, 53.6 km away. Have a safe trip!
I thoroughly enjoyed my yamitetsu adventure in the Shin-Yokohama Tunnel.
