Thursday 21 November 2013

Bullet Train and Classic Bus in Fukuyama City

EMU N700 series approaches Fukuyama Station on the Sanyo Shinkansen
 
During my visit to Ehime Prefecture in Shikoku Island last month, I stopped over at Fukuyama City in Hiroshima prefecture on the way back home. Fukuyama is located in Honshu Island; but, it is easy to hop there from Shikoku Island, passing through the bridges over the Seto Inland Sea.

When I reached Fukuyama City, I found that a classic bus was parking on the street (see the following photo). It was a bonnet bus operated by Tomotetsu, a local bus company. This nostalgic vehicle, type BX341, was manufactured by Isuzu Motors in 1958. It was powered by a 120-horsepower engine. The number of passenger seats is 27; meanwhile, the maximum passenger capacity is 47 persons. It was indeed well maintained. The BX 341 is operated as a relief or a chartered service only. Although, I didn't have an opportunity to ride it this time; I was lucky to shoot the photograph of this nostalgic bus.

Before leaving Fukuyama, I visited Fukuyama Castle. This hedgehog was constructed in 1622 by feudal load, Katsunari Mizuno. Although the original building was destroyed by an air raid during WWII, the restored castle is a symbol of the strength of the local people. I could view the beautiful urban scenery of Fukuyama including the elevated Sanyo Shinkansen track from the top of the castle tower (see the top photo).

This is the last post on my trip to Ehime and Hiroshima prefectures this year. It has become 4 posts long. Thanks for reading.

 
A classic bonnet bus, type Tomotetsu BX341 manufactured by Isuzu Motors in 1958