Have you ever had an experience like this in your country?
Have you ever wanted to ride a train that rarely ran? You kept telling yourself, "Someday I'll ride it," only to find that it had already been retired before you had the chance. Today I'd like to introduce one such train.
Series 7000 was a luxurious DMU operated by the Kashima Rinkai Railway from 1992 to 2010. Interestingly, it was owned not by the railway company itself, but by Ibaraki Prefecture. It was a two-car hydraulic-transmission DMU powered by 169 kW diesel engines, and only a single set was ever built by Nippon Sharyo.
The interior was surprisingly luxurious for a regional railway train. It featured reclining cross seats, not to mention a lounge area, a large TV and even karaoke equipment.
When Series 7000 entered service, it operated as the rapid train Marine Liner Hamanasu ("Hamanasu" means rugosa rose in Japanese). In 2008, it was reassigned to special excursion services before being retired from service in 2010. Since 2024, it has been preserved at Yumenoba (also known as THE HIROSAWA CITY), a vehicle-themed park in Chikusei City, Ibaraki Prefecture.
As I mentioned earlier, I had wanted to ride Series 7000 for many years. Unfortunately, the Kashima Rinkai Railway was quite a long way from where I lived, and I was very busy at the time. Then I was transferred to Indonesia in 2007, and before I knew it, Series 7000 had been retired.
Sixteen years after its retirement, I finally met Series 7000. It was on display in excellent condition alongside other historic rolling stock. Looking at its stylish exterior, I couldn't help thinking that it resembled JR East's HB-E300 hybrid DMU, which I rode recently. Perhaps Series 7000 was ahead of its time—a pioneer of Japan's sightseeing trains.
It was wonderful to finally meet you, Series 7000. I only wish I had had the chance to ride you while you were still in service. Still, I'll come back to visit you from time to time. See you again soon.