Monday, 27 July 2026

Enoden's Series 1000 EMU: The Final Chapter

Enoden Series 1000 EMU Set 1001 with its “Last Run” headmark

Rail fans like me have mixed feelings whenever a new train enters service. When a new type of rolling stock enters service, I get excited and rush to the tracks to welcome it.

But realistically, the debut of a new train usually means that an older one will soon be retired, and that is often exactly what happens. My head understands that, but my heart cannot accept it. Whenever a railway company announces the retirement of an old train, I feel sad. It still has plenty of life left in it! If you are also a rail fan, I hope you understand this complicated feeling.

Sorry for the long introduction. Today’s topic is the latter.

On July 15, Enoshima Electric Railway (Enoden) announced that Series 1000 Set 1001 (shown in the photo above) had been withdrawn from service the previous day. The moment had finally come.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Enoden introduced its brand-new Series 700 EMU on April 19. The company explained that the Series 700 would replace the aging Series 1000 fleet. In fact, Set 1001 became the first Series 1000 set to be withdrawn on July 14, marking the beginning of the retirement of the Series 1000 fleet.

Let me briefly review the history of Enoden’s Series 1000 EMU. It entered service in 1979. A total of six two-car articulated sets were built between 1979 and 1987. The fleet consists of three batches, and their specifications differ slightly, including their drive systems, brake systems, and auxiliary power supplies. Set 1001, for example, was equipped with an old nose-suspended drive system and a simple air brake system without regenerative braking. Its auxiliary power supply was a traditional motor-generator rather than a static inverter.

I was shocked when the company suddenly announced that Set 1001 had been withdrawn from service. It still had plenty of life left in it! Still, I suppose it could not be helped. Fortunately, I was able to photograph Set 1001 during its final days in service, complete with a “Last Run” headmark, last month. Set 1002 (shown in the photo below) and the remaining sets are still active. Hang in there, Series 1000!

The final chapter of Enoden’s Series 1000 EMU has just begun.

Enoden Series 1000 EMU Set 1002

Related link: