Saturday 17 September 2011

Reminder of My High School Days


8007F (New Color), EMU KRL Jabodetabek (ex-Tokyu) 8000 series at Bogor Station in Indonesia, Photo: Courtesy Faris Fadhli

When I was stationed in Indonesia, for 4 years from July 2007 to June 2011, I often rode the trains in Jakarta. My favorite one was an EMU 8000 series in the KRL Jabodetabek (Jakarta Metropolitan Electric Railway). The 8000 series had been operating on the Tokyu Electric Railway, Tokyo, Japan, since 1969. Then, 3 sets were transferred to KRL Jabodetabek in 2005 and 2007 to spend a new life after their retirement from Tokyu (see the top photo). 

The 8000 series is special to me, as I often rode it in Tokyo as well. When I was a high school student, I took the Tokyu-Toyoko Line from Shibuya, a subcenter of the city, and got off at Gakugei-daigaku Station to go to shcool. It was only a 10-minute trip, but I used the 8000 series everyday.

This train is filled with my high school memories even after several years in Indonesia, there are many remnants from the days of Japan in the train. For example, we can still see the display of the destination with Kanji, Chinese characters (see the bottom photo) on the front of the train. Meanwhile, some cautionary statement stickers, which were written in Japanese, are also still inside the train. Whenever, I rode the 8000 series in Jakarta, I was always encouraged by this train, because it still worked well in operation and was in good condition.

I would like to thank the local railway engineers in Indonesia.

8039F (Old Color), EMU KRL Jabodetabek (ex-Tokyu) 8000 series at J.Kota Station in Indonesia