Monday 18 April 2022

2022 Sakura Season in Tokyo

Electric car 8504 of the Toei 8500 series travels backed by full-blown sakura trees. 

On March 20th, 2022, the Meteorological Agency of Japan declared that this year's sakura (cherry) blossoms had started blooming in Tokyo. Spring has sprung! As I posted year after year, Japanese people harbor romantic emotions towards sakura blossoms. Sakura viewing is a part of Japanese culture. This year, I visited a tram route, the Arakawa line, to enjoy sakura blossoms and streetcars.

Before getting down to the main topic, please try to remember that I criticized the metropolitan government's branding for the Arakawa line before. I said "Tokyo Sakura Tram is a disagreeable nickname given by the metropolitan government, because sakura is NOT a representative blossom on the line. Rather, the Arakawa line's representative blossom should be roses. Local volunteers have been planting roses by the side of the track, and maintaining them for many years. We should prize local people's feelings over everything else."

I may have said too much... so, I actually visited Tokyo Sakura Tram (the Arakawa line) in the full-blown sakura season to make sure of that with my own eyes. Then, I found full-blown sakura trees on the section between Gakushuin-shita and Omokage-bashi tram stops. Their branches were full of whitish, faintly pale pink petals... so beautiful. Lots of people were enjoying this gorgeous spot in their own way. I enjoyed taking pictures of the electric cars 8500 and 8800 series travelling backed by the full-blown sakura trees.

The nickname, Tokyo Sakura Tram, was correct at least on this section of the Arakawa line.

Electric car 8805 of the Toei 8800 series travels backed by full-blown sakura trees.