It’s already October, and the weather is getting more comfortable in Tokyo. The best season for railfan activities is here.
I joined a Japan Railfan Club event held at Fujimigaoka Railyard on the Keio Inokashira Line last weekend. The theme was “Photographing Series 1000 EMUs.” Today, I’d like to share my experience at the event with you. But before getting down to the main topic, as usual…
・What’s the Inokashira Line and the Fujimigaoka Railyard?
The Inokashira Line is a commuter line in the western suburbs of Tokyo. The line is 12.7 km long and connects Shibuya and Kichijoji. Keio Corporation operates the line. One of the features of the trains on the Inokashira Line is that each trainset has a different color on its front mask and side stripes. Railfans call them “rainbow-colored trains.”
Fujimigaoka is the only railyard on the line. It’s located next to Fujimigaoka Station. I visited there for the first time in eight years (please see my previous post).
・Set 1756 and Set 1779 EMUs: Our Photographic Subjects
Keio kindly provided Sets 1756 and 1779 as photographic subjects. Let’s take a look at the photos.
You can see Set 1756 in the photo above. It’s standing on Siding No. 24, which is adjacent to the forest of Takaido Park. Set 1756 was built in 1997 as part of the second batch of Series 1000 trains. The color of its front mask and stripes is orange-beige.
On the other hand, you can see Set 1779 in the photo below. It’s standing on Siding No. 20, next to the factory. Set 1779 was built in 2009 as part of the sixth batch of Series 1000 trains. Set 1779 is a rather rare train on the line. It features a distinctive white front mask and rainbow-colored stripes along its sides. Set 1779 was modified last year in preparation for the introduction of Automatic Train Operation.
・Spot the Difference: Set 1756 and Set 1779
All right, then—please take another look at the photos and let’s enjoy a game of “spot the difference.” I found many differences between the two trainsets, apart from their coloring and stickers.
First, I spotted a difference in the shape of the destination indicators. Set 1756 has a box-shaped indicator on the front, while Set 1779 has a flush-mounted one. Was this one a piece of cake for you?
Second, I found a difference in the sides of the stainless-steel bodies. Set 1756 has beaded bodies, while Set 1779 has flat bodies without bead presses. Was this one not so difficult for you?
Third, the shapes of the radio antennas above the drivers’ cabs are different. Set 1756 has a simple stick-type antenna, while Set 1779 has an L-shaped one.
It’s getting harder and harder. There are various other differences, such as the shapes of the passenger doors… but let’s call it a day.
I had a lot of laughs and fun photographing the trains with my railfan mates that weekend. I really appreciate Keio Corporation for holding this special event.

